Last February, my library had a great campaign called I ❤ the UL (university library). They had set up a poster board with a prompt that asked students and other patrons to write on post-it notes about what they loved about the UL and what changes they wanted to see. The latest project that I have been working on is cleaning up some of those post it notes. Some are totally hilarious and crack me up and some are genuinely very nice. I think this campaign did a good job of reaching out to the students and getting a good understanding of what they want and what they love about the library.
Here’s a sampling of what some people said they loved about the UL:
- Single and ready to mingle (phone number)
- Itchy eyes? Itchy eyes.
- Library, I think you are sexy.
- I ❤ the UL
- Free Stuff!
- Any type of book of course! Yay intellectual freedom. ←(probably a SLIS student)
- It’s cozy in there and it looks like there are enough comps. I love couches? <3<3<3
- I come to you when I have no one else.
- It’s my part-time house (UL)
- The library is awesome! More people should use it.
- Library, I am continually impressed with your generous helping attitude. I do wish to continue our mutual relationship. -Student
I hope that they do this campaign again next year, because I am getting a kick out of reading all these notes. I also want to add that many people wrote that they LOVE BOOKS (the paper kind!). Old habits die hard.
What do you love about your library? Anyone else have a similar marketing campaign?